If you need financial assistance to buy a wig, there are a few options.
- Your Insurance Company. Some insurance companies or workplace health benefits will provide coverage for a “hair prosthesis”. You may need a prescription from your doctor.
- Income Tax Expense. If you do not have private insurance, you may be able to claim your wig as a “health expense” on your income tax. This may give you a refund for some or all of the cost of your wig.
- Government Assistance Programs such as Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program. Consult your worker to see if this applies to you.
- Princess Margaret Lodge provides reconditioned, gently used wigs, creative hairpieces, and turbans free of charge to patients who cannot afford a new wig and do not have insurance. All of the wigs available from the Lodge were donated by patients.
- The Patient Assistance Fund (PAF) of the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. If you are a patient at Princess Margaret or UHN and are unable to find a suitable wig at Princess Margaret Lodge, you can apply to the Patient Assistance Fund for help buying a wig.
Please feel free to call and speak to us if you are concerned about the affordability of your wig.